Age

You must be at least 21 years of age to view this blog.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

TLR Chapter 31

The next morning James, as was his habit, woke early, only to find one arm around Jaxon and the other cradled beneath his head.  He could see Heath sleeping in much the same position on the other side. Both men looked so peaceful and happy that he couldn't bear to wake them up.  He got out of bed, took a change of clothes into the kitchen bathroom, showered and dressed and began breakfast.

They had all had a very restful night, for which he was grateful, but he still had a lot of unanswered questions as to who had moved the heavy old sofa bed out, replaced it with the new sofa, and brought in the king sized bed in which Heath and Jaxon were still sleeping.  He thought of the gathering the night before and tried to think of anyone who could have sneaked away long enough to have pulled off this... prank.  He stopped in his tracks.  Where there was a prank, there was usually a Mutt behind it.

He put the heat on low beneath the pan he was using to fry the bacon, and checked the clock.  Nearly seven now.  He knew that Jeff was also an early riser and decided to take his chance that the other man was already awake.  He turned off the heat under the pan and then went to the phone to dial Jeff's number.

"Markham."  Jeff answered almost immediately.  "Good morning, James."

"Good morning, Jeff.  I'm sorry to bother you this early. Did I wake you?" James asked, leaning against the doorjamb.

"Not at all, James.  I was beginning to make breakfast.  You sound distracted.  Is something wrong?" Jeff asked, placing plates and utensils on the table before sitting down to hear what James had to say.

"Well, not wrong, exactly.  It rather worked out to my benefit last night, but it is a bit of a puzzle that I'd like to solve."

"What happened?"  Jeff asked, intrigued.

"It appears that someone came into my house last night and took some furniture." James began, after which he described the situation and the new furniture.  "It worked out in the end, but it did put us in an awkward position." he explained.

"I'll talk to Mutt as soon as we get off the phone." Jeff promised. "If he knows anything about it, he'll tell me."

"Thanks, Jeff. I'll see you later."

Jeff said goodbye and hung up the phone.  He knew that Mutt had been outside with him the whole time, Adam had been there as well.  Not only that, but as strong as he knew the two landscapers were, they wouldn't have been able to move the sofa and bed by themselves in a short period of time.  If they had disappeared for any length of time they would have been noticed.  So who did that leave?

He went into the bedroom and watched his husband sleep.   Mutt looked so peaceful that Jeff hated to wake him up.

"Mutt."  Jeff whispered, “Mutt, wake up honey.  Wake up."  He said, shaking Mutt's shoulder gently.

Mutt mumbled something incoherent and rolled over in his sleep.

"Matthew Elijah."  Jeff said, a little more forcibly.

Mutt's eyes opened and slewed in Jeff's direction.  "I haven't even woken up yet and I seem to be in trouble. What did I do?"  He asked, rolling over onto his back and propping himself up onto his elbows, eyes heavy with sleep and hair more tousled than usual.  Jeff had to resist the temptation to kiss his husband and enjoy the morning rather than have the discussion under way.

"That's what I want to find out.  James called me this morning with an interesting story, and I wondered if you knew anything about it."

"Story?  What did he say?" Mutt asked, his face showing nothing more than polite interest.

"Just that his sofa bed and Jaxon's bed seem to have disappeared and been replaced.  You didn't happen to have anything to do with that by any chance, did you?"

"Me?  I don't think I could have picked up the sofa bed and moved it by myself... did he say where it ended up?" He asked with wide eyed innocence.

"No," Jeff replied with a glimmer of humor in his eyes as he sat down on the edge of the bed, touching Mutt's foot beneath the blanket.  "He didn't even ask where the old stuff got to, only how the new stuff showed up."

"Well, I was with you, wasn't I?"  Mutt asked reasonably.

Jeff narrowed his eyes slightly, thinking over the events of the night before.  "Torren was grounded, you, Adam and Jax were downstairs until dinner time... We did notice that it was rather quiet for a while."

"Well, you don't think that the three of us did anything, do you?"  Mutt replied.  "I mean, Jax can't even stand up by himself, so he couldn't have done it, right?  And me and Ad couldn't have gotten to James's house, switched the furniture and gotten back without being all tired and sweaty.  Right? So, there's no way Adam and I did it."

"That makes sense, I suppose." Jeff said with a twinkle in his eye.  "So, it wasn't you and Adam who did the actual deed, though I have no doubt that you were the mastermind..."

Mutt sat up in bed, scooting into a more upright position.  "Me?  You can't think that I had anything to do with it!"  He said, sounding comically offended.

"The Brat doth protest too much." Jeff said with a smile.  "As I was saying, I have no doubt that you were the mastermind."

"Circumstantial evidence." Mutt retorted, beginning to worry for the first time. It hadn't, after all, been his idea, exactly.  He'd merely been the catalyst.

"Now the question is, since you didn't do it, who did you shanghai into doing it for you?"

Mutt didn't say anything at first.  He wasn't about to rat Tank and Cary out.  They were both comparable in size and strength to Duke and good friends of his, but they were also Brats and subject to the same rules and consequences as he was.  

They'd been sure that there was no way they'd be caught and Mutt had happily agreed.  Even if Jeff thought to check the work orders and saw that the two men had been there that night, all he could prove was that they'd been fixing the pipes.  He convinced himself that there was no way that Jeff would find out that they'd done anything more than that.  As he'd said, it was all circumstantial evidence.

"Well?"

"Well what?"  Mutt replied, stalling for time.

"Who did you make do the deed for you?"

"I didn't make anyone do anything, Chief."  Mutt answered truthfully.  He hadn't made anyone do anything.  Tank and Cary had both been more than willing participants, and Cary had actually been the one to come up with the idea one afternoon over lunch when Mutt had complained that he wished he could do something to get the three together faster. All Mutt had done was remove the washers and gaskets under the sinks so that no matter how much anyone tightened the slip and lock nuts the drain would continue to leak.

"Mutt," Jeff said, feeling a hard little knot of disappointment in his chest.  "If you know something about this, tell me now, because if I find out about it from someone else first... well you know how I feel about lying and what the consequences are for doing it."

Mutt saw the look on his husband's face and he dropped his eyes to the comforter.  "Well, say I did know something, would you ask me to give anyone up?  Because I ... wouldn't... couldn't do that.  Would you deal with me and let it go at that?"  He looked up at Jeff with a pleading expression.

"So you admit to knowing who did it?" Jeff asked kindly.

"I know, but please don't ask me who.  Please? I can't tell you." Mutt replied, feeling very guilty and worried that he would accidentally give up his friends during his punishment.  Whatever Jeff decided that would be.

"Was... was James very angry about it?"  He asked hesitantly.

"He was a little put out when he first saw what had been done... without his permission or knowledge, which put him and Heath... and Jax into a bad position.  That didn't make him very happy... but the set up worked in the long run, and he was quite pleased with it."

Mutt smiled wanly.  "Then I guess it was worth whatever you're going to do to me.  I just wanted them to be happy."

"Well then, I guess we should get this over with.  Do you want to take care of this before or after breakfast?"

"Can we do it now?" Mutt asked, a look of sorrow in his eyes.  "What...what are you going to do to me?"  

Jeff knew that Mutt was worried about.  "No, I'm not going to soap your mouth since you admitted to what you'd done.  But your backside is going to be very sore."

"I'm sorry, Jeff.  I'll apologize to James, Heath and Jaxon too, when I see them."

"You know that James is going to want to know who you recruited to do it."  Jeff reminded him.

"I can't do that, Jeff!" Mutt said in a panicked tone.

Jeff thought for a moment.  "Then I suppose you'll have to work that out with him when you see him later."

"Is he... you wouldn't let him... he won't wallop me will he?  You wouldn't let him... would you?"

"No, one spanking is enough to get the point across.  But if he decides to suspend you..." Jeff never got a chance to finish his sentence.

"Suspend me?!  He won't fire me will he?  Oh jeez, Jeff!  I didn't think.  I already messed up once when I went into Jax's bungalow when he first got here..."

"No, I don't think he'll fire you.  He's very fond of you.  But he may ask you who did it.  You have to make a choice."

"I can't give my friends up, Jeff.  You would never have done it, I know you wouldn't.  James would never do it either. I just have to trust that he'll understand that." Mutt said resolutely.

"Very well then.  Go into the kitchen, get the wooden spatula and bring it back here."

Mutt swallowed nervously.  The spatula was a foot long and wider at one end than the other.  It was relatively thin which guaranteed a snap and a sting he wouldn't forget for a long time, and this time, he knew that Jeff wasn't going to let him keep his sleep pants on.  He turned quietly and went to get the dreaded implement.  On his way back upstairs he unfastened the drawstring to his sleep pants, holding them up with his free  hand until he reached his husband who didn't look angry so much as disappointed and sad.  

Mutt handed the spatula to Jeff and lowered his sleep pants and boxers to his knees and put himself over Jeff's lap.  He folded his arms beneath him and put his forehead on his hands.

Several minutes later Mutt's backside was flaming red, and he was squirming and crying openly.  It was another minute or two before he realized that Jeff was no longer spanking him and was rubbing his back.  This had to be one of the worst spankings he'd gotten in a long while.

"All right, honey.  All right.  It's over now." Jeff said quietly.

"I'm... I'm... so-so-sorry, J-J-Jeff."  Mutt cried through hitching breaths.

"I know, sweetheart.  It's all over now.  Come on, put your head in my lap," Jeff said as he gently pulled up Mutt's boxers.  The sleep pants lay in a pile on the floor where Mutt had kicked them off during his struggles.

Mutt winced as he moved to do as Jeff had bidden him and the tears began to flow again.  His backside was red hot and sore, and he was sure he wouldn't be sitting comfortably for a couple of days at least.

"I was only tr-try-ing to h-h-help.  I-I thought that if th-th-they c-could j-just get c-cl-closer that J-Jax w-would fe-fe-feel better a-ab-b-about..."

"About being part of a trio, I understand, but you have to learn not to rush things like this, Mutt.  It would have happened in its own time."

"B-but you s-said he wasn't m-mad.  J-James I m-mean."  Mutt replied, using the back of his hand to wipe the tears from his face as he gradually calmed down.

Jeff carded his hand through Mutt's hair.  "I know you meant well, and I know that when you go and apologize to James and the others that they're going to understand that as well.  It was still wrong of you, Mutt, and you'll just have to accept whatever consequences James and Heath decide on.  Understand?"

Mutt's tears began to flow again, “You don't think James'll fire me do you?  Jeff, what if he fires me? Will I be allowed to stay here with you?  What if he fires you too?  Oh my God, I really messed up." he cried.

"Don't invent trouble, hon.  I honestly don't believe he'll fire either of us.  Calm down now." Jeff said, wrapping a comforting arm around his husband's shoulders.  "Are you calm enough to have breakfast?"

"I'm not hungry, Jeff.  I don't think I can eat anything until I find out what James is going to do to me."

Jeff looked at his watch.  Nearly an hour had gone by, and James had told him that he'd been in the process of making breakfast.  Sure that the trio must be done eating by now, he placed Mutt comfortably on the couch, went into the kitchen, and called James back.

"Yes, Jeff?"  James answered. He'd been at the kitchen table in the middle of reading the local newspaper and wasn't the least bit perturbed to be interrupted.  It all seemed to be bad news.  He considered taking a page from Jaxon's book and just reading the comics and Dear Abby.

Jaxon and Heath both looked up from their sections of the newspaper when they heard the name.  Jaxon turned a pleading look in James's direction.  Heath just looked on curiously. 

"I'm going to put the phone on speaker, if that's all right with you, Jeff."

"No problem, James.  It will save you the time of telling Heath and Jaxon."  He heard it when the phone was switched to speaker and bid the other two men a good morning.

"Sorry to bother you all so early. I just wanted to let you know that I had a discussion with Mutt and he admitted to knowing all about it."

James put a comforting hand over Jaxon's as the young man winced, imagining the conversation.  "So what did he tell you?"

"Only that he knew about it.  Arranged it, apparently.  He thought that by having the furniture replaced it would help the three of you to become closer."

"Well, I have to admit it worked, even if it was an unorthodox way to go about it.  I spoke to Jaxon about it this morning when he woke up for breakfast."

"And?"

James looked a question at Jaxon who shook his head and made a go ahead gesture at James.

"He had a feeling that Mutt was behind it, and he just couldn't be mad at him. He admitted that once the initial shock wore off it didn't seem like such a bad idea."

"And Heath?"

James looked the same question at Heath and got the same response, so James continued.

"Heath was still a little worried that it was too fast, but when he heard Jax's feelings on the matter... well, it didn't seem to bother him.  He had to admit that it worked out well in the long run."

"And you?"  Jeff asked worriedly.  James was an easy going man but he had to have felt violated, having someone come into his house when he wasn't there.

"I was tense at first.  We didn't have any idea what had happened, we thought we'd been broken into.  But," he huffed a laugh, "Well when I saw the bed I knew what had happened and why.  Jax was reluctant at first, but it wasn't because he didn't trust us, it was because he thought he'd be in the way.  Once we got him to understand that he was not only not in the way but welcome as well, he seemed to be all right with it.  We slept well and woke up happy, so it all worked out in the end.  How's Mutt?"

"Sore, sorry.  He's worried you're going to fire him, or that I'm going to let you wallop him." Jeff laughed.

"No need for that, either option.  As long as he learned his lesson."

"I think he has, this time.  I rather drove the point home."

"I believe it." James grimaced ruefully.  He understood that Mutt had deserved to be punished, but he was not the sort to enjoy the fact, and empathized with the young man.

"I'd like to bring Mutt by later to apologize, if that's all right?"

"That's fine, we're not planning anything today.  He didn't happen to tell you who else was involved, did he?"

"No, I'm sorry, he wouldn't give me the names of his coconspirators."

"I think I know who did the actual deed, I was just about to call Martin and Greg," He said, referring to Cary and Tank's Tops.  "As you know, their brats were here last night fixing some leaky pipes under the sink.  If they're not involved then perhaps they know who was.  Heath thought that perhaps they might have seen someone lurking about."

Jeff sighed.  "The two of them are definitely big enough to have moved all of that furniture without breaking a sweat.  But as you say, innocent until proven guilty.  Would you let me know what happens?"

"Sure, what time did you want to come over?"

"I still have to take care of Mutt.  He's worried that you're going to fire him and he says he's not hungry.  I have to get something into his stomach so that it doesn't growl by the time we get there."

"It's only after eight now.  Reassure him that he still has a job.  I'll decide what else to do, if anything, once I've spoken with Martin and Greg.  Perhaps you can come over around ten?" He suggested, looking at Jaxon and Heath for confirmation.  The two men nodded without hesitation.

"Ten it is then." Jeff agreed before hanging up.  He looked at the clock again, sighed, and then went back to making breakfast, hoping that the aroma would entice his worried Brat into eating before they went over to James's house.

As expected, the smell of breakfast cooking roused Mutt, who had been dozing on the couch.  He winced and got up quickly as he put weight on his bottom.  Even on the soft couch that slight pressure was too painful.  He went into the kitchen in time to see Jeff placing bacon, eggs and toast onto their plates.  

Mutt's stomach growled loudly, alerting Jeff to his husband's presence.

"So my love, it sounds as though your stomach is in the mood to eat even if you're not.  Have a seat and eat.  We're expected at James's house at ten.

"I'm not hungry."  Mutt said as his heart dropped down into his stomach which growled fiercely again.  "And I don't feel much like sitting right now." He winced again at the thought.

Jeff smiled gently, knowingly, and went into the living room for one of the softer couch pillows.  He put it on Mutt's chair, clicking his fingers and pointing to let Mutt know it was an order and not a suggestion.

Mutt didn't dare disobey.  He didn't want to push his luck any further than he already had, so he sat little by little until he felt his backside could take the pressure.  He was grateful for the cushion.  Jeff had never been a mean or vindictive man and had always taken Mutt's comfort into consideration, even when he'd done something wrong.

"Go ahead and eat, honey.  Then you need to shower and change before we go to James's house."

Mutt, who had just picked up the fork to begin eating, put it back down again and just stared at his plate.

Jeff, after pouring two cups of coffee, sat down next to his husband and placed a comforting hand atop Mutt's.

"You're not fired.  None of them are angry, just a little dismayed.  James understands that you didn't mean anything bad by what you did, and he said it seems to have worked out fine after all.  So please eat, honey.  It's going to be all right."

Mutt perked up.  "I still have a job?"  He asked hopefully.

"Yes.  You still have a job, but James still wants to know what went on last night.  He's going to talk to Cary and Tank first.  They were there last night fixing the pipes..." Jeff's voice trailed off as he saw Mutt turn pale and hesitate with his fork.  Jeff nodded to himself.  Mystery solved as far as he was concerned. "Don't worry hon, they'll be fine too.  I'm not saying they won't get a dose of what you got this morning, but they're tough, they'll live."

"But I didn't say anything!"

"No, you're right, you didn't say a word." Jeff replied, his eyes soft with love and respect for his Brat.  "Now eat, and then we need to shower and change."

Mutt began to eat slowly, guilt and worry for his two friends still weighing on him, but then his stomach took over and he somehow found himself finishing up what was on his plate and looking for more.  He made more toast and poured himself and Jeff more coffee before heading toward the bedroom to find clean clothes and take his shower. He came down several minutes later only to find Jeff just emerging from the kitchen shower, dressed and impeccably groomed as usual.  He wished that they didn't have to go to James's house.  Jeff looked so enticing.  He sighed.  Now was not the time.

The two men walked over to James's house.  Mutt hesitated at the bottom of the stairs, but Jeff gently pulled him up and toward the door before ringing the doorbell.

Heath answered with a smile.  "Come in gentlemen."  He said, shaking Jeff's hand and then pulling Mutt into a quick hug.

"You're... you're not mad at me?"  Mutt asked hesitantly.

"No, not mad." Heath reassured him as he led the two men into the living room where James and Jaxon sat comfortably. "Have a seat guys."

Jeff sat down, pulling Mutt down with him.  Mutt twisted a little bit so that he was sitting on his hip rather than his bottom, and leaned against Jeff.

"Well Mutt, I just wanted to put your mind at ease." James said.  "Tank cracked under the pressure and told Greg everything."

"Everything?"  Mutt asked nervously.  Had they told James and Heath about how he had tampered with the pipes, removing the gaskets and washers so that the pipes would leak no matter how much one tightened the coupling nuts?

"Yes.  He said that he and Cary fixed the pipes and after Cary left, he went to the truck and carried the sofa and bed out and replaced it with the new items.  Funny thing is that once we spoke to Martin, Cary said that he'd been the one to stay behind after Tank left and he moved all of the furniture."  Heath replied.

"So Martin and Greg are going to take care of their Brats, and we'll see if we can get more of the story out of them afterward."  James said, looking at Mutt shrewdly.

Mutt clamped his mouth shut and looked briefly at Jaxon who winked.  His expression was so solemn that Mutt was sure that he'd seen wrong at first, but then Jax did it again.

Jaxon knew Tank and Cary and knew that James and Heath were playing his friend like a fiddle.  He couldn't just sit by and let Mutt dig himself in deeper, or make himself more nervous than he already was.

Mutt smiled, a barely noticeable smile, at Jaxon and winked back.  Message received.  He felt badly for Cary and Tank, especially if their Tops did to them what Jeff had done to him, but he also knew that they would be all right, and that they wouldn't give Adam up for anything.  At least one of them would be safe.  He smiled a little more widely, surprising James who was sure he had Mutt on the verge of spilling the beans.

The younger man saw James's reaction and schooled his face into one more fitting the situation.  "I just want to say I'm sorry for trying to force the matter, sir." He said penitently.  "But I am glad it worked out." He continued, looking at Jaxon who was leaning comfortably against Heath.

James looked over and saw his men... yes, his men... looking happy and contented.  He looked back toward Mutt and smiled.  "Regardless of how you did it, regardless of who did it, thank you."  He said, walking over to sit between Heath and Jaxon, an arm around each one.

Jeff and Mutt were just about to take their leave when Jaxon spoke up.  "Um, Jeff?  If Mutt isn't grounded, is it all right if we go for a walk this morning? That is if it's all right with you and Heath," he amended, looking up into James's eyes and giving Heath's hand a squeeze.

James looked the question at Jeff, who raised his eyebrows briefly before looking down at Mutt, who had already turned dark, liquid puppy dog eyes toward his husband.

Jeff tried not to laugh, but he did smile, which encouraged Mutt enough to cause him to smile and say, "Pleeeeeeasssse?"

"James? Heath?"  Jeff asked.  The two men smiled their agreement.

"All right then.  Can I trust the two of you not to get into any trouble?  No drag racing around the complex."

"No sir, no drag racing."  Mutt assured him.

Jaxon effortlessly transferred himself from the couch to his wheelchair, drawing looks from Heath and James.  He blushed and grinned sheepishly, giving a slight shrug.  "I've been practicing."

"I can tell." James replied, arching an eyebrow.

"You're still recovering, Jaxon." Heath said patiently.  "Not only from the original fall but from your spill as well.  That knee might give out one day when you're doing that, and if James or I aren't here to help..."

"I'm all right, honestly." Jaxon said. "I'm getting better all the time.  And I promise if anything happens you'll be the first one I call."

"If you're able." Heath retorted, a hint of acid in his voice.  "And don't forget you still have to go through physical therapy to regain full use of that knee, and if you damage it again..."  Heath let the sentence trail off.  There was no real need to go into further detail.

"I'm sorry, Heath, I'll be more careful." Jaxon promised contritely.

"See that you are." James replied sternly.

"Yes sir."

Before the two men could chide his friend further, Mutt plastered on a smile and asked if it was all right for them to go on their walk.

Jeff pinned his brat with a look, “Be careful."

Mutt smiled more genuinely, grateful that Jeff was helping him change the subject.  "We will, I promise."

Jeff, never one to bring up past mistakes, didn't remind Mutt of what had happened the last time he'd promised that Jaxon would be safe, but Mutt could see it in his eyes.

"I'll treat him like he's made of glass."  Mutt promised again.

"Very well then," James said, “Get going.  We'll expect you back for lunch.  Understood?"

"Yes, sir." Both young men replied in unison.  They grinned at each other.  "Jinx!" 

"Jaxon, Mutt, get going before we change our minds." Jeff said, trying to suppress a smile.

"Yes sir," Mutt replied.  He got up and gave his husband a resounding kiss before turning to Jaxon who was receiving similar attentions from Heath and James.

Once they'd finished, Mutt took the handles of the wheelchair and carefully wheeled him to the front door, which James opened for them.  Mutt thanked him and headed the chair toward the temporary ramp he, Adam and Torren had built to make the bungalow more accessible and headed toward the pool.

"Dang," he said, “Shoulda brought our swim trunks.  It's warm enough to go in now."

"That's all right." Jaxon replied, “If we'd done that we'd have spent more time playing and swimming than talking."

Once they'd reached the pool, Mutt positioned a reclining lawn chair so that Jaxon could slide out of his wheelchair into it. He didn't say anything when Jaxon nimbly transferred himself into the chair.  "You won't tell on me, right?" Jax grinned.

"Not me, but if you fall I was nowhere near you and didn't see it.  That's my story and I'm stickin' to it."  He sang with a smile. He was grateful that Jeff hadn't grounded him again but he couldn't help but to wince a little as he sat down on one of the other chairs.

"I'm sorry," Jaxon said quietly."

Mutt looked at his friend, confused.  "What on earth are you sorry about?"

"I can tell that Jeff spa... pun... I mean... dang, I can't even say it." He replied, blushing.

"Spanked me." Mutt smiled understandingly.  "It's all right.  If anyone deserved it, it was me.  I really didn't think things through. Jeff is always telling me that I'm too impulsive.  Actually," He continued, looking a little embarrassed, “I should be the one apologizing to you.  I'm sorry I put you in such an uncomfortable position last night."

"It wasn't too bad," Jaxon lied, trying to lessen his friend's guilt.

Mutt smiled gratefully.  "Maybe not afterward, but initially it had to be awkward, and I'm sorry I put the three of you in that position.  So, um, if it's all right to ask... how did things work out?"

Jaxon was quiet for several moments, thinking back to the events of the night before.  Finally he looked up at Mutt, trying to contain a little grin as he saw his friend wriggling a bit on the chair, trying to find a comfortable position.

"Ok, yeah, it was... strange at first.  I... well," Jaxon frowned, thinking of what he wanted to say without hurting Mutt's feelings, "At first I was a little put out that my bed was gone and that there was this monstrosity where it had been.  A really beautiful monstrosity," he said quickly as he saw Mutt's sorrowful expression.  "I... I mean, the bed is really beautiful. It's just that I..."

"Felt pressured." Mutt finished for him, “Uncomfortable at the idea of sleeping with men you still aren't sure of."

"Not exactly.  I mean, I did feel pressured at first, I'll admit," Jaxon said carefully.  "I know that the two of them are a couple now, and that they want me to join them, and I do want to.  I just thought that they might not want to share a bed with me, at first, I mean, I'd just be in the way. But they were so kind and thoughtful.  And all we did was sleep.  They didn't demand anything of me, and left it entirely up to me whether I wanted them in the bed with me or not.  At first it felt strange, I've never slept with anyone else other than a teddy bear." He joked, "But once we settled in it all felt so... right.  I was comfortable, physically and mentally, do you know what I mean?"  He asked, frowning as he tried to think of the right words.

Mutt smiled.  Jaxon could detect a hint of sadness but couldn't figure out why his friend would be sad.  "I think I know what you mean."  He responded.  "It felt the same the first time Jeff came to sleep with me.  He could hear me tossing and turning in the bedroom next to his and he came in.  He laid down on the bed, on top of the covers, and put an arm around me, rubbing my arm a little.  He didn't do anything more than that, and he had this... beautiful, peaceful smile on his face.  I fell asleep looking at that face and woke up the next morning knowing that it was the face I always wanted to wake up to.  Does that make sense?"

Jaxon grinned and nodded, "It makes perfect sense.  That's how I felt when I woke up in the middle of the night, sandwiched between the two of them, feeling warm and safe.  It's how I felt this morning when I woke up and saw Heath sleeping next to me.  He had an arm around me but it wasn't heavy or oppressive, know what I mean?  It just felt... right."

"So you slept well?"  Mutt asked hopefully.

"Like a baby."

"And... and you're not mad at me?"

"No, I'm not mad at you.  I was a little... put out last night, nervous, dismayed, you know?  It didn't even occur to me that you'd been the one who'd arranged the switch, or even that you'd had anything to do with it since you were with me the whole night. When James explained the situation to me, I admit I was a little ticked off, but then I remembered how good they'd been to me, and how comfortable and happy I was... am..." He smiled reassuringly when he saw the conflicting emotions on Mutt's face, "So there's no way I can be mad at you.  I'm actually grateful."

"Really?" Mutt asked, relief on his features.

"Really." Jaxon grinned.  "Thank you."

Without thinking, Mutt got up from his chair and leaned over to give Jaxon a hug, smiling gratefully.

"You are an amazing person, Jaxon Wilder.  Thank you."  He said before he sat back down, once again, not thinking until his backside made contact with the chair.  He barely suppressed a yelp and grimaced again.  He saw the concern on Jaxon's face and grinned ruefully.  "A spanking hurts, but it doesn't last long.  I'll be fine by tomorrow, but Jeff wanted to make sure he made an impression this time, and when he makes up his mind to do something, he does it well.  Don't worry, Jax.  Remember, I have no one to blame but myself.

He could see Jaxon visibly relax at his words and he smiled again, “But from what you told me, it was all worth it.  I regret nothing!"  He declared theatrically, making Jaxon laugh. 

"Where did you get that bed, by the way?  It's beautiful, it had to cost a fortune."  

"Actually, it was in one of the storage sheds. It took a little work to restore it but yeah, I have to admit it came out really well. I think it was custom made, and I was really glad that James likes to hang onto stuff from his family.  It would have been a shame to have thrown that away.  The only cost was buying the box spring and mattress, and all of us pitched in."

"All of us?" Jaxon asked curiously.

"Ah, well, I'll leave names out of it, just in case you're questioned." Mutt laughed.  "Me, Tank and Cary have already been caught but there's no reason that the others have to get involved, deal?"

"Deal." Jaxon said, smiling and holding out a hand to shake.  He was pretty sure that the others were Adam and Torren but he would be the last to give them up.

"So, I'm curious," Jax finally said, "Who are Greg and Martin?  I mean, until today I thought Cary and Tank were partners.  Whenever I see them or talk to them they are always working together.  Tank seemed to be the bolder of the two so I just assumed he was the top.   But now I understand Greg and Martin are Cary and Tank's Tops, but what do they do here?"

"Sorry, I should have filled you in on the guys. Greg and Martin are full time security, along with Duke and Coral and Harry too, now that he’s living here with Brody.  Ryan is part time security."

"And Tank and Cary are maintenance?"

"Yep, sort of Jacks of All Trades like me, Ad and Tor. They mostly work on plumbing issues, but they're also HVAC techs and take care of all of the air conditioning and heating problems. They're close as brothers and a little on the shy side, so I doubt you'll see much of them."

"Where were Martin and Greg all that time? I'm only asking because James was called in to cover Ryan's shifts for the last week."

"They're back. They're in the reserves and were on active duty for two weeks.  I know they'd have wanted to be here but they'd have been unable to come back to help.  Usually when we have a full security staff they either work in pairs or their shifts overlap.  There was no way they could have seen what would happen while they were gone. Reserve are required to participate in training drills one weekend a month and two weeks per year.  This was their two weeks." Mutt explained.

"I never met them.  You never talked about them." Jaxon said, frowning slightly as he thought back for any mention of the two men.

Mutt looked a little embarrassed.  "I don't want to say I just take them for granted, but they're so much a part of everyday life here at TLR that it never occurred to me to mention them.  Does that make sense?"

"Yeah, I guess so," Jaxon replied hesitantly.  "Well, I'm glad they're back then, now James can get some rest." He continued, relief showing plainly on his face.

"Me too, they're great guys, devoted to James and the resort. We're hoping that they're not called in to serve, so far they've been lucky." 

The shadows around them were telling Mutt that they better head back to Jax’s house for lunch or face the wrath for the tops.  “Come on, Jax, we should be getting back before our guys come looking for us.”  He said as he wheeled Jax’s chair closer to him then held it still while the younger man slid onto the seat.  Then turned the chair toward home and their men.

<<<<>>>> 


Monday afternoon Sawyer and Jenson had just reached the building for their classes.  Jenson stopped in his tracks and looked at Sawyer with angry eyes and said, “Not going in while holding hands.” 

“Jenson we discussed this last night that we both need to go and yes, we'll be holding hands,” Sawyer explained.   “And if you want to argue we can right here before we go in and you'll be sitting on a sore behind. Is that clear?  Jenson... Jenson look at me please, I said is that clear?”

“Yes sir, clear.”

“Good now come here.” Jenson leaned in and they both hugged, then Sawyer quietly spoke to Jenson and said, “It'll be ok and it'll be good for us to retake the classes.”   Then to reassure Jenson he held onto both hands and looked him in the eyes.  The anger had gone and his shoulders started to relax.  “Are you ready to go in now?”

“Yes sir.” 

“Good, let’s get a seat before everyone gets here.” Sawyer said.

“Yes sir,” Jenson said more subdued.

They were in the middle of class when Sawyer noticed Jenson fidgeting and starting to lose interest in the teacher.  He was tapping his pencil and doing a bunch of doodling and just not paying attention. Tapping Jenson's back the older man shushed him.  He was good and then was back to the same thing again ten minutes later.

Sawyer knew Jenson had some problems but couldn't put his finger on it.  At times he had trouble focusing when he was stressed.  Now that Sawyer thought back few months ago they had this same talk about keeping doctor's appointments and being late coming home, having some trouble starting a task and trouble listening.

When Jenson came to Sawyer after being in foster care he had decided to be a mentor to help him and of course their friendship grew to now being married.

Sawyer had heard that adults can have ADD or ADHD.   He decided to make an appointment with the resort doctor and see if his guess is as good guess as the doctor’s.

Before classes ended Jenson was right back for the third time not paying attention and tapping his foot. Only now his head was on the table while he rolled his pencils.  Letting it go, Sawyer went up to the teacher and asked if Jenson and he could leave a little early.

Getting the nod of approval the teacher said, “Go and take care of your husband.”

Sawyer when back to the table grabbing his books he leaned into Jenson and quietly said, ''Up, we're leaving, then grabbing Jenson's hand, we left the building.

‘Ah, oh,’ Jenson thought,’ what did I do now?’

Once out of the building and walking towards a bench Jenson stopped.  He thought about this whole thing and if his thinking was right he knew what was coming.

Sawyer sat on the bench and looked up to Jenson and asked, “Do you want to tell me what all this fidgeting and rolling of the pencils about?”

“Umm, well it's just boring,” he answered as the attitude started to creep in.  “And I don't see the need to retake the classes. We know what we're doing Sawyer.”

“Yes we do, but I think we need a refresher course to help us both if we're going to make it work in our relationship and our marriage also.”

"You're going to punish me aren't you?''

"When you behave the way you've behaved just now I can only conclude you're in need of a clear reminder of our discussion that we just had the other day,” Sawyer answered.

Sawyer walked over took ahold of Jenson and sat down. He pulled him over his firm knees and began laying six on Jenson's shorts, then yanked him back up on his feet and said, “Let's get this clear right now.  We will be continuing classes and there will be no attitude or arguments,” Sawyer put in some authority in his voice.

Jenson was just about to protest, Sawyer's hand came down cracking Jenson's behind. “I said is that clear?”

“Jenson...” Sawyer demanded.

“Yes sir.”

“Good, now come here.”

Jenson went over to Sawyer and sat on his lap.  “Jenson, I think we need to make an appointment to see the doc and find out what's going on ok?”

“Yes sir,” Jenson agreed as he got up.

“Are we good now?” Sawyer asked. 

Jenson nodded and smiled and said, “Yeah.”

Then Sawyer took Jenson's hand and they went to see if they could make an appointment with the doctor.


















1 comment:

  1. I don't mean to be critical, but why would you spank someone for fidgeting that you suspect might have ADD or ADHD? If it's hard for them to sit still and/or pay attention, it seems cruel—and unproductive—to spank them for it. Better to wait until AFTER they receive a diagnosis and finding out what their capabilities are.

    ReplyDelete